Samsung has finally launched its much-awaited flagship smartphones Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ in India.The Galaxy S9 and S9+ will go on sale starting March 16 in India — the same day as the U.S — and Samsung is incentivizing the arrival of its latest flagships with several launch-day offers. Samsung is also launching its loyalty program, Samsung Rewards, in India. Here’s what you need to know about the Galaxy S9 and S9+ in India.
The Galaxy S9 and S9+ are powered by Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 845 platform in the U.S., but in India both phones will be featuring Samsung’s own Exynos 9810 instead. Samsung offers Exynos-powered models in most Asian markets, and there aren’t any major differences between the two platforms. In fact, both the Snapdragon 845 and Exynos 9810 are manufactured on Samsung Foundry’s 10nm node.Both the phones have Infinity Display – an end-to-end, bezel-less screen that extends to the phone’s sides. S9 comes with a 5.8-inch Quad HD+ screen and the S9+ comes with a 6.2-inch Quad HD+ screen, both with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on the front and the back, same as the predecessors. The company says that the screen is now 15% brighter than the S8 series.
Samsung is offering both phones with 64GB of internal storage in the U.S., but Indian customers also have the option of choosing the 256GB storage variant. And while all three color variants are available at launch, you’ll have to go with the Midnight Black option if you’re interested in the 256GB model.
The highlight with the Galaxy S9 series is a new imaging module with adjustable aperture — the first in a phone. The camera module is present on both phones, and the Galaxy S9+ gets a secondary camera that doubles up as a telephoto lens, the same as the Galaxy Note 8.
Galaxy S9/S9+ price in India
The 64GB variant of the Galaxy S9 starts off at ₹57,900, the same price as last year’s Galaxy S8. Samsung is clearly looking to be more aggressive in India this year, and the pricing of the Galaxy S9 series highlights just that.
Here’s the breakdown of Galaxy S9 and S9+ pricing in India:
- 64GB Galaxy S9: ₹57,900 ($890)
- 256GB Galaxy S9: ₹65,900 ($1,000)
- 64GB Galaxy S9+: ₹64,900 ($1,015)
- 256GB Galaxy S9+: ₹72,900 ($1,120)
The Samsung Galaxy S9 is backed by a 3000mAh battery, while the Galaxy S9+ packs a 3500mAh battery. Both devices come with wireless charging.
Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ specifications
- S9 – 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 570ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- S9+ – 6.2-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 529ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 Series 9810 processor with Mali G72MP18 GPU
- S9 – 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB/256GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory up to 400GB with microSD
- S9+ – 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB/256GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory up to 400GB with microSD
- Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- S9 – 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture, 960fps super slo-mo
- S9+ – 12MP primary rear camera with f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture, LED Flash, 960fps super slo-mo, 12MP secondary rear camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 8MP auto focus front-facing camera with wide-angle lens, f/1.7 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- S9 Dimensions: 147.7mm x 68.7mm x 8.5mm; Weight: 163g
- S9+ Dimensions: 158.1mm x 73.8mm x 8.5mm; Weight: 189g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5 (LE up to 2Mbps), GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- S9 – 3000mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
- S9+ – 3500mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
The Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ will be available in Midnight Black, Coral Blue and Lilac Purple colors in India.
Pricing and availability
- Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB – Rs. 57,900
- Samsung Galaxy S9 256GB (Midnight Black) – Rs. 65,900
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ 64GB – Rs. 64,900
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ 256GB (Midnight Black) – Rs. 72,900
Both the phones are available for pre-order starting from 2PM today, exclusively on Flipkart. Pre-booking began last week on Samsung Shop. It is also available for order from select retail stores offline. It will start shipping from March 16th. The 256GB variant of Galaxy S9+ will be sold exclusively at Reliance Digital stores, Samsung exclusive stores and Samsung Shop.
- Paytm mall cashback – Rs. 6000
- HDFC Credit Card cashback (on both EMI and non EMI transactions) of Rs. 6000 or cashback when making a full payment using HDFC Credit Cards or by paying through HDFC CD Loan
- Up to 22,500 off on exchange + additional exchange bonus of Rs. 6000 on select phones
- No Cost EMIs on 3/6/9/12/18 months on Samsung Shop
- Airtel – Own an S9 at down payment of Rs. 9900 and monthly postpaid tariff of Rs. 2499 over 24 months and get 2TB data and other benefits
- Airtel – Special “Double Data” offer on Airtel Infinity Rs. 499 (80GB) & Rs. 799 (120GB) postpaid plans with Unlimited voice & SMS + Amazon Prime (1 year) + Handset Protection
- Jio – Rs. 4999 annual plan offers 1TB data, unlimited calls and SMS
- Vodafone – 1 year free Netflix subscription on RED plans starting at Rs.999 till April 30, 2018
- Vodafone pre-paid – Recharge with Rs. 199 and get unlimited voice and 1.4GB/day and an additional 10GB free data every month for next 10 recharges.